After discussing the layout of modern kitchens in my previous blog post, today I would like to talk in detail about how best to furnish your kitchen.
II. Choosing the best appliances for you
Today’s appliances are energy efficient, easy to use, ergonomic and with sleek appearance. Built not only to be practical, but also eye pleasing, modern appliances are targeted to ease our ever busier lives and save us time. Although every kitchen relies on the same basic appliances, nowadays there are hundreds of different models for every different homeowner. You should carefully think and choose according to your own preferences before going on a shopping spree for appliances.
1. Refrigerators Modern refrigerators have anti freezing systems, quieting systems, in-door water dispensers and many other handy features. No matter how much high-tech stuff your fridge can do, you should still consider several factors before you buy it and they are more often than not non-technology related:
- The amount of space you have available
- The capacity of the fridge, depending on the size of your family
- Which layout works best for you (top-freezer, bottom-freezer, etc.)
- Which appearance matches best your kitchen design (black, white, stainless steal, etc.)
2. Dishwashers Considered a luxury item in the past, dishwashers are a common appliance in most modern kitchens. They are not only energy-efficient and quiet, but also save time for the modern homeowners to concentrate on other, more important things. Often this item comes with quite a long warranty and are built in general to last a decade, so it is very important to choose your model wisely – after all you will be looking at it for a long time.
3. Microwaves These fast cookers are considered a must in our modern, fast lives. When shopping for a microwave you should consider several factors:
- Location – depending on where you plan to install it (on the counter, or built-in in some cabinet) there are several different models
- Wattage – more watts equal more power, which in turn equals faster cooking / warming of your food
- Special heating options – some microwaves have a built-in grill, others use different type of heating like convection or inverter
4. Cooking Appliances
- Cooktops, hobs and ovens – today these appliances are faster, better looking and more powerful than ever. Although the classic gas and electric options are still widely popular, more modern ones begin to emerge, winning homeowners’ hearts.
- Convection ovens – in addition to gas or electricity these ovens use fans to cook your meal faster and more evenly than ever.
- Induction cooktops – these modern miracles use high-frequency coils under the cooktop’s surface to heat the cookware with magnetic forces. Almost miraculously, this allows the cooktop to stay cool while heating your cookware and your meal.
5. Small Appliances They might not be considered the hubs of your kitchen, but sometimes small appliances are equally important – just ask any coffee drinker. Blenders, toasters, juicers, mixers and coffee makers are often the most used and most beloved items in your kitchen.
III. Surface space and storage
Having enough space to store your supplies and prepare food is crucial in making your every day meal into a fast and efficient task. Modern homeowners have many different options – you can store your dishes on an open shelf or put them away in a glass-front or solid wooden cabinetry. You may also consider installing custom storage options depending on your cooking habits and needs. Whatever you choose, the bottom line is that storage is important and in order to have a modern and good looking kitchen you should look for a way to maximize efficiency in the kitchen and make the previously unused areas of the kitchen usable and easily accessible.
IV. Sinks and faucets
The sink is one of the most important places in the kitchen – you will spend a lot of time over it, hovering between the fridge and the stove. Having a cramped and shallow sink can seriously curb your enthusiasm when preparing a meal, which is why it is essential that you find the right model and accessories for your needs. Faucet options include widely popular pull-down models, single and double handle versions and various finishes (stainless steal, rustic bronze or chrome). There are also high-tech models using motion sensors. Complete your desired faucet-sink pair with a garbage disposal unit and you are set to explore your cooking talents.
V. Lighten up your kitchen
Lighting is the most underrated element in the kitchen, but ironically it is the most hard working one. Choosing appropriate levels of lighting is not tough, if one keeps in mind that it should be concentrated where it is needed. Zones above the sink, dining and prep areas must be well illuminated in order to be practical and cozy. You can choose from overhead lights, spotlights, recessed lighting and even chandeliers to make you feel right at home. According to experts, the perfect lighting scheme starts with natural light and you further supplement it by adding ambient, task and accent lighting.
VI. Finishing touches
The most minor details can have a huge contribution to the ambiance of your kitchen. From wall colour to chairs and accessories, these are the elements that will add comfort and style to your kitchen. Choose the colour of your kitchen walls carefully. Walls with bright, lively colours create an ambiance and even appetite. Having a backsplash makes post-cooking cleaning easier, but it can also influence subtly the style of your kitchen. Using galvanized metal will add shine, or you can keep it simple by having white tiles. Families with small children even consider hand painting the backsplash in bright colours to make the kitchen appear more lively.
At the end of the day your new, modern kitchen can be exactly what you want it to be. It is fully customizable and will provide an area of comfort and cosiness for you and your family. What tips and ideas do you have that you can share? I am waiting for your comments, so we can have a nice discussion about building our dream modern kitchens.